The Economist Intelligence Corporate Network is launching the first in a regular series of events called "Hot Spots", where we will feature an in-depth dive into a country or theme of interest to our members. The first country we are featuring for 2023 is Indonesia.
Hot spots: Opportunities and Risks in Indonesia
Despite numerous headwinds dragging global economic growth down in 2023, bright spots remain in South-East Asia. In our regular series on the hot-spots of regional growth, we look at the economic and political outlooks for Indonesia.
Indonesia is the world's largest Muslim majority state, its third biggest democracy and fourth most populous country. It is the sixth-biggest emerging market by GDP, and in the past decade has grown faster than any other $1trn-plus economy bar China and India. A source of dynamism is digital services, with over 100m people spending $80bn a year on everything from e-payment to apps for on-demand trucking. With a fifth of the global reserves of nickel, the country is a vital link in electric vehicle supply chains.
We will be discussing:
- Political and economic outlook for Indonesia
- Market demographics
- Key regulatory changes that will shape the business environment
- Opportunities and challenges across industries
We will be joined by industry experts, including:
- Keith Toh, Partner, Novo Tellus Capital Partners
- Annisa Natalegawa, Partner and Managing Director of Asia Group Advisors,
- Ju Ye Lee, Vice President and Economist at Maybank Securities Singapore
- Samuel Seow, Managing Partner, YSL Legal